Frequently Asked Questions.

What We Do

What does Swank do?

Swank provides movies and movie licensing to campgrounds, colleges, K-12 schools, public libraries and dozens of other entities that want to show films legally on their property. We work with everyone from the best studios in Hollywood to the most innovative indie film companies to help individuals turn everyday events into extraordinary experiences.


Why do I need Swank’s services?

According to the Federal Copyright Act, copyrighted materials like movies can only be used for a public performance if they’re properly licensed.

However, neither the rental nor purchase of a movie carries the right to exhibit it outside of one’s home. So how can you get your movie and campground licensed so you can show your movie? That’s where we come in. 


What exactly is a public performance?

A public performance is the exhibition of a movie that is shown outside of someone’s home. Fees collected for public performance licensing compensate the copyright owners and the men and women who work on a film from start to finish.


Who appointed Swank to issue public performance licensing?

Major and minor film studios trust Swank as their liaison and agent to provide public performance licensing for their library of movies.


We have been using movies in our campground for years. Why haven't we heard of this before?

Unauthorized use of someone else's copyrighted materials in the U.S. has been a copyright law violation since 1970. Movie studios have had a compliance royalty procedure for use of their films in place for many years.

Currently, most of the major studios have made copyright compliance simpler and less expensive for campgrounds by appointing Swank as their sole agent to assist in their copyright enforcement program.


I’ve heard of a similar type of license called a “blanket license.” Is this the same thing as a public performance license?

They’re the same thing. Sometimes referred to as a "blanket license,” our annual public performance site license gives your campground or RV park the right to show copyrighted movies legally.


What if a third party says it is okay to publicly exhibit rented or purchased movies?

Third parties cannot provide legal permission for use outside the home. These movies, like the movies you own, are for "home use only" and must be licensed for public performance.


How can I confirm that a movie I'd like to show is covered under the annual license?

Check to see if the movie you want to show is covered with our movie search tool. If the film title appears, it is covered under the annual license.


After Purchase


Where can I acquire entertainment movies after we receive our license?

Once licensed, you can exhibit any movies by the studios we represent as long as they are secured from a legal source such as a video rental store, local library or your personal collection.


Are there limitations to this public performance site license?

This license is for campgrounds only. This license does not permit movies to be used when an admission fee is charged, other than to cover costs. In lieu of charging an admission, you may "suggest donations" and/or provide concessions.

In addition, the movies may not be altered, duplicated, digitized or transmitted electronically in any form without specific permission from the copyright owner.


Are there advertising guidelines?

You may advertise in your campground or pass information directly to staff and patrons. If you choose to advertise through the public media (such as public radio, television or a website), you may do so, as long as the movie title and studio name are not used. For example, "Join us at ABC Campground for a Family Movie Night at 7:00pm" is permitted.


What are the single event public performance license copyright restrictions?

The single event public performance license is a limited license to exhibit only the agreed upon movie title and show date in your campground. Violation of this agreement is subject to the penalties set forth in the Federal Copyright Act.


What if I have an unforeseen circumstance after ordering a single event public performance license?

If you are unable to hold your event due to inclement weather, electrical problems or other malfunctions, you may reschedule your selected movie title within one year of the original show date. Swank must be promptly informed by phone or email prior to the scheduled showing so your account can be noted. Please contact your Account Executive for complete details.


Who do I call for billing and payment information?

For questions involving invoices and payments, please contact the Customer Service Department in St. Louis, Missouri toll-free at 1-800-876-5445.