Author Movie Licensing USA / Jan 11, 2018

5 Ideas for Earth Day Programming

Earth Day, originating in 1970, is the largest civil observance in the world. Celebrated every year on April 22, this holiday serves as a great opportunity to educate patrons and community members about environmental issues and spark interest in sustainable practices. From focusing on reducing disposable plastic consumption – Earth Day Network’s top initiative this year – to teaching teens how to turn everyday items into something new and exciting, here are some top program ideas to help your library go green this Earth Day.

Trash into Treasures

Kids and teens sometimes get bored with what they already have. But instead of handing over their allowance cash to buy something new, or convincing their parents to borrow their credit cards, give them ideas on how to create something new out of what they already have on hand. Ideas include creating t-shirt tote bags, turning tissue boxes into desk organizers, or reusing coffee tins as planters. You can find hundreds of more ideas online. Plus, this programming idea can easily be tailored to any age group’s interests.

Parting with Plastic

Of the 300 million tons of disposable plastic produced each year, only about 10 percent of it is properly recycled and reused. The other 90 percent turns into landfill waste or litter, where it then leaks dangerous chemicals into nearby soil and water. This year’s Earth Day focus is largely centered on reducing the amount of plastic used.

For older patrons, share more in-depth knowledge on the dangers of disposable plastic consumption. Then provide tips and resources for how they can reduce their plastic use in the future. For younger patrons, even just opening their eyes to the issue is a big step forward. You can also share information about the dangers plastic debris poses for oceanic creatures

Cloth Diapers 101

According to the EPA, 7.6 billion pounds of disposable diapers are discarded in the U.S. each year. And it takes about 80,000 pounds of plastic and more than 200,000 trees a year to manufacture these diapers for just American babies. By switching to cloth diapers, parents can reduce their carbon footprint and save money.

Host a class for new or expecting parents to explain everything they need to know to switch to cloth diapers. You can include info on the different types of cloth diapers available, including the pros and cons of each, and, if you can, have a parent who used or is using cloth diapers share what it’s like to manage cloth diapers every day.

Earth Day Film

Movies are a great way to educate patrons about Earth Day and conservation initiatives. Movie Licensing USA has a wide variety of films available for use – many included in our annual license. Check out some of our top picks below, and click here to view the complete list.