Frequently Asked Questions.

What We Do

What does Swank do?

Swank provides movies and movie licensing to parks, recreation centers, companies, colleges, K-12 schools, public libraries and dozens of other entities that want to show films legally on their property. We work with everyone from the best studios in Hollywood to the most innovative indie film companies to help individuals turn everyday events into extraordinary experiences.  

Does Swank provide the screen and projector?

No, Swank does not provide the equipment needed for the event. If you do not already own the equipment, we suggest that you reach out to a local audiovisual company to rent or purchase a screen, projector, and sound system.

Why do I need Swank’s services?

According to the Federal Copyright Act, copyrighted materials like movies can only be used for a public performance if they’re properly licensed. However, neither the rental nor purchase of a movie carries the right to exhibit it outside of one’s home. So how can you get your movie licensed to show it? That’s where we come in. Check out our copyright information to learn more.   

What exactly is a public performance?

A public performance is an exhibition of a movie that is shown outside of someone’s home. Fees collected for public performance licensing compensate the copyright owners and the men and women who work on a film from start to finish.

Who appointed Swank to issue public performance licensing?

Hollywood film studios trust Swank as their liaison and agent to provide public performance licensing for their library of movies.


How do I place an order?

Choose the titles you would like to show or let our experienced staff help you create your movie program. Contact us toll-free at 1-800-876-5577 or fill out an Exhibition Request Form



How much does it cost?

Licensing costs vary depending on a few simple variables. Request a quote or give us a call at 1-800-876-5577 to discuss pricing.  

Who do I call for billing and payment information?

For questions involving invoices and payments, please contact the Customer Service Department in St. Louis, MO toll-free at 1-800-876-5445.


Where do I send payment?

Please call our customer service department at 1-800-876-5445 to pay over the phone with a credit card or mail payments directly to our financial institution:

Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.
2844 Paysphere Circle
Chicago, IL 60674


After Purchase

How will I know if my movie order is confirmed?

Your Swank Account Executive will give you an immediate verbal confirmation and email an additional confirmation within one business day. Simply provide us with your email address at the time of your order. If you booked a new release that has an “anticipated” date, you will receive your emailed order confirmation once the date is confirmed. 


Can I use my own copy of the movie I want to show?

Yes, you may use your own copy of the film as long as it is from a legal source such as a rental company or a personal collection. To ensure a flawless event, we always suggest that you test the movie in its entirety on the equipment that you will be using for your event.


If I opt to receive a copy of the movie from Swank, when will my movie arrive?

Your movie will arrive at least two business days before your show date. Please test your movie in its entirety as soon as you get it using the equipment and venue you will use for your event. A complete viewing is the only way to ensure everything will go smoothly on the big day.

How do I return the movie?

Movies must be returned on the first business day following the scheduled showing. You are responsible for the movie while it is in your possession and until Swank receives it at our facility. Charges will apply for any delay in returning your movies, up to and including an additional full rental charge.

In most cases, Swank includes postage for your convenience. The shipping and handling charge includes postage for delivery to you and return to Swank. If you have any questions about how to return your movie, just give us a call.



Unexpected Changes

How do I cancel my movie?

Any movie may be canceled without obligation if Swank receives written notification 10 business days before the show date. If notification is not received in this time frame, the full rental and handling charges must be paid. Invoices are due at the time of the original show date. You will have up to one year to reschedule that same movie at no additional licensing fee.


What do I do if my show date changes?

All show date changes must be made in writing and received by Swank 10 business days before the film is shipped or the full rental and handling charges must be paid. Invoices are due at the time of the original show date. You will have up to one year to reschedule that same movie at no additional licensing fee.

What if my screening is affected by unforeseen circumstances like equipment malfunction, inclement weather, etc.?

If any problems arise that prevent you from showing your film on your scheduled date, you have the option to reschedule the same movie within one year at no additional licensing fee. Please notify your Account Executive the following business day so that we can note the last minute cancellation on your account.

Regardless of rescheduling, all invoices are due at the time of the original show date. Only freight will be charged for the rescheduled show date. All advertising and admission policies still apply to the rescheduled show. Contact us for more details. 





What are the restrictions of the license for my movie?

Your order is for a limited license to exhibit only during the agreed upon time at the specified place. No movie or any portion thereof may be copied or duplicated in any manner. Violation of this is subject to the penalties set forth in the Federal Copyright Act.


What if a third party says it is okay to publicly exhibit rented or purchased movies?

Third parties cannot provide legal permission for use outside the home. These movies, like the movies you own, are for "home use only" and must be licensed for public performance.


How many days can I show the movie?

Standard licensing is for one day's use unless otherwise agreed upon. You can add additional days at a discounted rate. Simply ask your Account Executive about discounts for multiple-day showings.


Can I charge admission?

If you charge admission, your total licensing fee will be the flat rate versus 50 percent of your ticket sales, whichever is greater. We will email an audience report that should be completed the following business day after your screening. Payment is due upon receipt of the invoice.


Are there any advertising restrictions?

You are permitted to use the studio approved images provided by Swank. Please note that these images may not be edited or altered and must include the © symbol and the studio name.

Advertising movie showings via on-premises signage, websites, email, social media accounts or direct mail is acceptable. Any promotion that is done by means of a marquee, lighted sign or billboard that will be seen by the public may not include the name of the movie.

These movies are specifically licensed for non-theatrical showings only. Advertising through media such as radio, television or newspaper is not permitted. If this policy is violated or your screening becomes openly competitive with a commercial theater, your movie(s) may be canceled without notice.